"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

We Still Do

We celebrated our eleventh wedding anniversary recently...


(I know it's a little cheesy, but I purchased this sign to mark the occasion.)

Micah planned a night away for us at a nearby resort.

He even lined up childcare and everything!

What a treat!

I looked forward to it for weeks!

It's a beautiful place and it's only an hour from home.

We've been there before, and it always inspires and impresses me!

I couldn't wait to visit again!


The night before we left I decided to wear this black outfit with pale pink sweater. I laid everything out in anticipation...


(It was a great choice because it was comfortable for the car ride yet dressy enough for the resort.)

The morning finally came!!!

~ Woohoo! ~

Here we go!.........

But there was one little problem.

Micah had hurt his back the night before working in our family room. (Remember our family room project?) He was really suffering!


Once we got on the road I asked him if we should stop by an Urgent Care on our way out of town. I couldn't believe it- he answered, "Sure. I think I need it."

That's when I knew it must be bad!!!

So... We spent the afternoon of our anniversary at Urgent Care getting his back looked at! Haha...

(I almost didn't include that part because I like to only dwell on the positive, but I decided to share it with you because I find it's easy to think nobody else has problems. Sometimes it's nice to hear that you're not the only one who suffers sometimes! *wink)

We had put in our time there, and purchased the needed prescriptions. Now it was time to have some fun! (Carefully, of course. Micah's back needed a few days of rest. I was happy to go about our weekend at a slower pace.)

The day was bright and clear!


But veeerrry cold!!!

It's always a striking sight to pull up to this resort's door...


There are men dressed in top hats waiting to greet guests and help with luggage.


They made us feel like royalty!

They parked our car, took all our luggage, greeted us warmly, and opened the doors.

This is a very old, historic place. Rich with authenticity and a wonderful sense of the past.


The first thing we did was meander around, inspecting artwork and reading plaques...


Well, I was inspecting artwork. Micah inspected woodwork. *smile


Everything seemed interesting!

Here, let me show you around...

This is a sitting area right off the hotel's lobby...


And there's an enormous library right off of that...


Micah and I talked all weekend about their attention to detail. 

It radiated throughout our entire stay.


Walls were upholstered, colors were vibrant, books, plants, and flower arrangements were real...


Yes, all weekend we marveled at the truly impressive way they paid special attention to all the little details!


I never noticed a speck of dust on any surface anywhere...

Classical, instrumental music was continuously being played... 

And we were never called by our first names by the staff. It was "Mr. and Mrs. Downs" everywhere we went! 

Haha... I loved it!


Our room was comfortable and relaxing.

It was down this beautiful hallway...


Again, we were treated like royalty even in our room!

They had turned down our bed, gave us an anniversary card, and left us with this impressive towel swan- complete with a real rose in the center...


(Don't you love it when hotels do this? And doesn't it make you feel just terrible to take it apart when it's time to go to sleep?!)

I had really been looking forward to seeing the Greenhouse while we were there.

I have memories of coming here for ice cream with my mother and grandparents as a small child.


I remembered it as being a sunny and charming little place.

I couldn't wait to see it again...

It did NOT disappoint!

Look at how wonderful it is!...

Colorful, bright, and happy!


It's an ice cream parlor that also offers coffee and other desserts.

While we were ordering our cranberry coffee cake, the girl behind the counter told us that this greenhouse was originally from a children's hospital in England. It was disassembled and brought to California where it was won at auction and then brought here.

I remarked that how having that knowledge makes me love it even more!

She handed me my coffee cake and ice water and I smiled at her and said, "This is such a happy place! It must just be a joy to work here!"

She nodded, smiled back warmly and said, "You know... It really is!"


It was a joy to visit, too!

I'd love to go back again someday soon!

When Spring arrives it would be a nice day trip for me and the children. I think it would be worth the drive to come here with them. We could pack books to read while we're here and I'd treat them each to an ice cream cone.

What a special childhood memory that would be!

Well, all good things must come to an end, as we know...

We said goodbye to this lovely place...


And went home.

(Lately I've wondered if my anniversary sign would look better here, above our bed... What do you think?)


Living in luxury for two days sure was fun...

But there's no place like home!

Here's to another eleven years, and more!

~ We Still Do! ~


xo,


~ Courtney ~






















4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What resort is this? Looks charming. I like the sign above the bed which is unusual for me...I don't like the idea of anything hanging over my head while sleeping so the wall above the head of our bed is empty! Lol Happy 11th anniversary you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicki! It's the American Club in Kohler. I would highly recommend it! It's funny the wall above your bed is empty because I've had the scary thought before that that shelf will come crashing down on me while I sleep. Haha! So I get that! Haha! Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely. What a romantic getaway! I would love to go there someday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for reading! If you ever get up to northern WI it’s a must-see! ☺️

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!