"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Hi friends!


Elsa is napping, Micah is working with the big kids on a large puzzle, and I just sat down with a cup of hot cocoa to write to you because I wondered if perhaps you'd like my whole wheat pancake recipe...

I made these for my kids this morning and thought I'd share it with you!

I know you all are wonderful home chefs and homemakers, and could teach me a thing or two... but why not? Why not inspire and learn from each other?



I do not remember where this recipe originally came from. I've been making these pancakes for my kids ever since they were babies.

It's a very simple recipe!

Anybody can do it.

Come on in to my kitchen!


I'll show you what I do...

I could probably go by memory, but I pull out my little homemade recipe book just in case...


Here's a close-up, if you decide to try it...


This morning I decided to half the recipe, because I was cutting up fruit and making eggs as well.

Start with dry ingredients first...



Measure everything out, and plop it all into a large mixing bowl...


I should mention that the only tweak I do in this recipe is add a pinch of nutmeg. I don't bother with the nutmeg if I'm making this in warm weather months, but for some reason I find myself always looking for excuses to use nutmeg in the fall and winter, haha... It's such a comforting spice...


The wet ingredients go in last...

I was a bit messy as you can see... And I don't even have kids to blame for this one! Haha... They were all in the living room watching Saturday morning cartoons as I was doing this...


But they all trickled in one by one as I cooked the batter on the skillet... They could smell it from the living room!


"Mama's making pancakes!!!" I heard one squeal.

That does my heart such good!

"When I was a little girl I always wanted to be in the kitchen. It was warm, and that's where my mama was." 
~ Dolly Parton

I am sure you know that once the pancakes start to bubble, it is time to flip them!

"Well I got me a fine wife I got me an ole fiddle
When the sun's comin' up I got cakes on the griddle
Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle
Thank God I'm a country boy..."
~ John Denver

I like to warm my oven to about 200 degrees, and once the entire batter is cooked and buttered, I cover them with foil and place them in the oven to keep warm while I finish breakfast.


Then, I line up my children's plates on my kitchen island like an assembly line, and dish everyone up...


I even made a plate for myself...

Like my mug? *wink


Those closest to me know that I am careful to feed my children well, but I am not good at feeding myself. I want to try to get better! Maybe that can be my New Year's resolution!!!

When breakfast was over my kitchen looked like a bomb had gone off...


Recently I was watching a Flylady Youtube video, and she taught me to think about the three "F's" when faced with a housecleaning task ~

Do it First!

Do it Fast!

And Finish the job!

That advice is perfect for me!

So immediately I began tossing dishes in the dishwasher and filling up my skillet with hot, soapy water...


Wasn't that good advice, friends? Look! I'm done already...


As long as I'm in the groove, and the three "F's" are fresh on my mind, I might as well whoop up on a few other jobs...

I cleaned one of my bathrooms, completed three loads of laundry, dusted and swept the main rooms of the house, and put some chicken breasts in the dutch oven to get a head start on dinner.

Now I feel I have earned a little blogging time, and a little bird watching time...

What a luxury...


I noticed there was a blue jay AND a cardinal together at our backyard feeder...


What a fun treat this is! If only I could get a decent picture!

Here the cardinal is in the bush, and the blue jay is still at the feeder...


The poor cardinal is patiently waiting his turn. Blue jay's are bossy, so little cardinal is keeping his distance!



Well friends, that's all the time I have today.

I wish we could visit longer!

Hope you all are shopped, wrapped, and ready to go for Christmas!

Check back with me soon!

And let me know if you make my whole wheat pancakes!!!


xo,

~ Courtney ~















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!