"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Kitchen Talk

Have I ever showed you my pantry's screen door?

Oh, friends! This is one of my most favorite projects we've ever done!

Come on in and take a look!...


We've lived here now for eight years, and our kitchen was the very first room we renovated upon moving in.

(before)

I really wanted it to have a down-home, farmhouse feel.

We had uncovered a stack of various old doors in our previous homes' attic, and it gave Micah and I an idea for our new farmhouse kitchen...

(Because what farmhouse kitchen would be complete without an old screen door?!!)

We selected our favorite one, and made sure it would fit...


Then spray-painted it white...


And... Ta-da!!!


After eight years, I am still very much in love with it! And it's probably the most commented on area of our home by visitors!

I turned the light on for the picture, but unless I'm in there looking for something, I usually keep the light off. So, it looks like this...


I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. I'm sure you do, too! It's like a headquarters for the homemaker, isn't it, friends? Haha...

You know, before I was married I lived alone in a tiny apartment, and I worked full-time at a salon. 

I didn't care about food or cooking.

I would spend about $30 a week on groceries and just buy a box of crackers, jar of peanut butter, a can or two of tuna, and a little milk.

I would work 10-hour shifts at the salon with just a sleeve of crackers in my purse to munch on in-between clients.

One day I was giving a middle-aged woman a pedicure, and she looked down at me and said, "Dear, you are extremely thin. Are you well?"

Puzzled, I looked back at her and replied, "Um... I think so... Why?"

She said, "You do not look well."

I did not know I was thin. I didn't look thin to myself in the mirror! But I remembered what that lady said to me and began buying protein shakes with my groceries. I still didn't attempt to cook or feed myself! Haha... I just sipped on a shake every day for extra calories! 

Why am I telling you all of this?...

Because I wish I hadn't wasted those years. I wish I had practiced cooking and baking in my tiny apartment kitchen! Just think of the cook I could be for my family NOW! To this day I am just a mediocre cook. I had several years before I was married where I didn't have any distractions (like babies and toddlers) and I could have gotten good at it!

Instead, I waited until I had to learn and by then I was battling nausea due to pregnancies, sleep deprivation due to newborn babies, and the hardest of all... toddlers underfoot in the kitchen!

So... I suppose my purpose in writing this is to encourage any young, single girls who may be reading...

Don't waste your youth!

Learn how to budget wisely, how to clean and do laundry well, and how to cook. Then when you get married, you won't feel lost like I did! Haha! AND, you can start being a blessing to your family right off the bat! 

(I don't want to even admit to all the times I fed poor Micah rubbery steak or crunchy noodles during those early years!)

So, my kitchen may have come a long way over the years due to renovations... But I have equally come a long way, too!

Even a mediocre cook who's trying, is far better than not cooking at all!!! Because you'll learn and get better!

Let me share one example...

Over the years I have learned a little trick for mashed potatoes. Would you like to make your potatoes really creamy and delicious?

I'll show you what I do...


Plop a little butter, cream cheese, and shredded parmesan cheese into a large bowl...


Of course the amount will depend on how many potatoes you are using. For my family I usually use three to four.

(My lovely potato-stirring assistant...)

Once they're drained, I pour the hot potatoes over the butter and cheeses to be blended all together...


You'll notice that the water's on. I like to have cold water running whenever I drain hot noodles or potatoes. This is because years ago I was watching Martha Stewart, and she walked over to her sink with a boiling pot of something in one hand, and flipped the water on with the other hand and said, "Remember! Be kind to your sink!"

I've never forgotten that!

I have a beautiful, bright white granite sink that I never take for granted, so... YES! I want to be kind to my sink!

A little salt and pepper are added in at the end... and these are very yummy potatoes to go with our dinner!

(The rule in our house is whoever helps gets to lick the beater!)

Let me know if you try this! Or maybe YOU have a few tips or comments to share...? I would love to hear from you!

Thanks for joining me in my kitchen today!

I loved having you! *wink*

Come over again soon!!!

xo,

~ Courtney ~







4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Love the pantry door idea and your little helper! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joyce! Thanks for reading!😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney :)

    You have such a beautiful home and I love your kitchen. I think it's neat you reused that old door :)

    I had such a good time catching up with you. You're a really uplifting writer and it gives me joy to visit.

    I hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rue! You made my day! I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment! I hope you have a great weekend, as well! :)

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!