"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, September 14, 2017

An Indian Summer And Other Stories

I over-slept this morning!

Lately our days have been warm and clear, and the nights cool and crisp. It's wonderful to fall asleep with the bedroom windows open, and awake to sunlight flickering across the bed, birds singing, and my white curtains dancing around in the breeze.

I think it was this exact atmosphere that caused me to lose sight of all reality, and remain in dreamland until something caused my eyes to look over to the clock...

7:45!!!

Oh No!!!

How could I let this happen?!

I popped right up and bolted down the stairs. All of my children were awake; the younger ones watching PBS Kids, and the older ones sitting at the school desk working on school papers. I started the coffee and then realized.... 

This is not a problem.

We have no yellow bus to catch... I have no manager to answer to... and I don't have to get my kids over to their piano teacher until 10:30. So, I poured my coffee in gratitude, remembering all the years of my youth when over-sleeping meant great consequences! 

When I dropped my kids off at piano, I greeted their teacher, my friend, and said, "Good morning! How are ya?!" 

She sighed, "We're surviving... We had a bit of a rough morning."

I said, "Oh, me too! I over-slept! Didn't get up till 7:45!!!"

"Wow!" She said. "That's late!"

I laughed, and then quickly added, "But you know, we are SO lucky, aren't we?"

She nodded in agreement and replied, "We really are!"

Yes, friends, for the homemaker, our days belong to US! Isn't that great?! We design and manage our schedule! And as a person who has a background in public school and then career chasing... THIS is a breath of fresh air! And I've never felt freer!

It was in this freedom that I decided to whisk the kids away to the park the other day to spend the afternoon...


We've been experiencing a bit of an Indian summer. It truly is something to savor because Winter will be upon us before we know it, and he's cranky up here in the north, isn't he?- and never in any rush to give way to Spring. So, we disciplined ourselves to complete all chores and schoolwork in the morning, to take this lovely afternoon off. 


Soren cracked me up when we were wading in the water, he said, "Look mom! It's low tide!"

Haha!!!

We had the entire place completely to ourselves! 


Not another soul in sight!

It was like our own private little park!

This is like medicine to me! As an introvert, I thrive on quiet, alone time. It's like it renews me!

I sat on the park bench and watched my kids play and ride their bikes around...


You know, there was a time in my life when going to the park meant hard work! It seemed I always had a baby that I had to take down the slide, crawl through the tunnels with, and watch over carefully so that they wouldn't kill themselves.

But now, I sit and rest!!!

SO, mama's of babies, be encouraged!

Look at me reading a book on the park bench!

(I've earned this! Haha...)

This was such a treat! But not the only exercise my children get... Since we started school back up I have re-established our 'Morning Run'. This is something I instituted a couple of years ago for Roman, but now he and Soren are doing it. It goes like this... Every morning they are required to get outside for a brisk run before breakfast. It is one of the very first things they do! They are free to decide their route, but upon returning to the house they must tell me an observation. Over the years it has been things like...

~ A flock of geese flew right over the house!

~ The arrow on the barn's weathervane is pointing north.

~ The grass is wet.

~ There was an interesting bird in the maple tree.

~ A baby raccoon is stuck in the live trap!!!

More often than not, these observations have provided meaningful conversation for us while we eat breakfast! It is where real learning takes place! I can say, "Did you know that the reason the weathervane arrow is pointing north is because that's the direction the wind is blowing?"

Or, "What is it called when the grass feels wet first thing in the morning but we know it didn't rain last night?"

I have told the boys that they must keep up with their morning runs until the first snow. Then we will have a winter break.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In other news... Elsa has been going on the potty!!! And has quite the fan club cheering her on...


You don't mind if I use this blog to record some family history, do you? Really, I just wanted an excuse to share this hilarious photo! Haha...

OH! And this one, too...


Which really has nothing to do with anything other than I found it quite remarkable that I got them to all look and smile at the camera for once!!!

I'll tell ya, I really don't know what I'll do with myself when these kiddos all grow up and leave me! I sure hope they give me grand babies so that this doesn't have to end!

~ It's a wonderful life! ~


Oh, friends! I have more on my list of topics to write about and pictures to share... But it will have to wait until next time. It is late already tonight and I must get to bed so that I don't oversleep again tomorrow!!! Haha...

And what about you? You should get to bed, too!

We need our beauty sleep!

Take care sweet friends...


xo,

~ Courtney ~









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!