"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Getting Ready For School

Hello friends!

Can you believe that summer is winding down already?

We get to welcome in a new month tomorrow!

Fall will be upon us before we know it, and I've got a lot to do to get ready!

 I'm sure you do, too!

School starts for us next week and I will have a 3rd grader, a 1st grader, and a kindergartener!

Each year just keeps getting more complex!

When I begin to feel overwhelmed, I just take a time-out and head outside with my scissors...


My roses didn't do too bad this year despite the fact that I didn't end up fertilizing any of them!

They are faithful friends that show up year after year...


I have five different varieties.

A sprig from each was snipped for this arrangement in my kitchen.


But I can only turn my back on my responsibilities for so long, *sigh....

I need to make sure I am ready for school!

I decided to write out a rough draft of Roman and Nola's upcoming school year to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I wrote out the subjects that I wanted to be a part of our year, and the means by which they will be incorporated...


It made me feel a little better!


I'm really looking forward to starting the year! But it'll be a lot to take on, and I feel as though my plate's already full! SO, I began brainstorming ways that I can be more efficient in my home.

One idea that I had was to train the older ones to do some of my morning jobs.

If we're going to get everything done in the mornings to be ready to start school at a decent time, then I need help!

I thought I'd try giving Roman the job of making breakfast for everyone. So the other day I assigned him the entire task from start to finish. He had already been used to helping me with kitchen chores, but this was the first time I completely backed off and let him do it.


He did great!

He made scrambled eggs and toast; cut up some fruit, and gave everyone a yogurt and a vitamin.


Once I saw that this could be a possibility for our mornings, I felt encouraged! This could potentially free me up for an extra 20-30 minutes each day, allowing me to focus on other morning tasks.

Some other ideas of chores that my older kids could do...

~ Nola could switch over the morning load of laundry from the washer to the dryer.

~ Roman could help Nola and Soren with their piano practice.

~ Nola could make Elsa's bed for her and help her brush her hair and teeth.

etc...

These are all habits I'm accustomed to doing, but I've been wondering lately if I need to do a better job delegating, so that more can get done!

Well, if there's ever a time to experiment with that, IT'S NOW! Homeschool takes a big chunk out of the day, and I'm not willing to cheapen our meals and homelife because of it. 

I would LOVE to still do hair and makeup every morning, make nutritious meals, and keep our home clean and tidy...

(Any of you veteran homeschool mamas out there willing to give me advice on this? Haha... Leave me a comment!!!)


Once we're up and running with school and in the groove, I'll write a post about our schedule.

I'm just still in the planning and waiting phase now...

Yesterday I set up a bookshelf in the family room and stocked it with supplies...


Last year we did school in the dining room, but this year I'd like to try it in the family room.

What do you think?

Where do you do school?

Do you have a school room? A school corner? Or do you do it at the kitchen table?...

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Have any of you tried it in the family room? Did you like it? 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

My brain could go and go...

But for now I'll just try to enjoy the last few quiet, unhurried days of summer...


and finish getting ready for school.

:)

xo,

~ Courtney ~











No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!