"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Friday, August 19, 2016

Teaching Etiquette

Hello friends!

I'm just popping in quickly today with a short parenting post on etiquette.

One important job that we have as mothers is to teach our children social skills and social etiquette.

Here is an example of one small thing we can do to help teach this...

I got the idea a few months ago to take my children to a nearby cafe as part of our school day, to give them an opportunity to practice restaurant etiquette. I finally took the time this afternoon and we went.

My children have been in restaurants many times in their little lives, but we're always with other adults whom I'm trying to visit with. So, I'm distracted by that and not necessarily focusing on the etiquette of my children.

Today my goal was to sit with just them, undistracted, in an upscale cafe, to give them experience and training.  They did really well and we had a lovely time!

On the drive there I talked with them about my expectations for them and explained what we were doing. I told them that they were going to practice:

~ Being respectful and quiet in a "fancy" place.

~ Proper table manners.

~ Ordering for themselves.

~ Looking the waitress in the eye and speaking clearly when ordering.

~ Saying "Please" and "Thank-you".

                    

I took all four of my kids, which would have been costly had we gone there for a meal. So my idea was to have lunch at home first and go to the cafe for dessert. It worked out quite well. Doing it this way accomplished what I was after and helped keep the cost down.

When the waitress came by with the dessert tray, I noticed the portions were large. I had my oldest three each choose what they would like, and asked the waitress for two extra plates. I sliced off a small hunk of the three desserts for the baby and I to share. 

                  

It ended up being the perfect amounts for all of us! :)

Teaching table manners at home is essential, but doing something like this can help give children the skills to function well in society. Some things come up in restaurants that wouldn't necessarily come up at home. For example, when we were seated the kids noticed the utensils wrapped in cloth napkins. I'd love to say that we always eat our meals at home with cloth napkins, haha, but we actually eat our meals with a big package of wet wipes plunked in the center of the table! (Hey! Kids are messy!!!) But today I got to reinforce that cloth napkins are to be placed on the lap until we are through eating.

Another thing that came up today was one of my children being too loud. This particular child has a tendency to be a loud-talker, but usually at home this is overlooked. I had the opportunity today to tell my child, "Look around. Do you see that adults are trying to visit? Whenever you're in public, observe your surroundings and see where you fit in in regards to what's going on." I pointed out the table next to us where two ladies sat, visiting. I said, "You don't have to whisper, but you should bring the volume of your voice down so that the people around us aren't disturbed and think we're rude."

These are all teachable moments that we as mothers should take advantage of to instill a value or character trait, or in today's case, social etiquette.

"It's when the whole world is your school instead of school being your whole world." -Eli Gerzon



                   

I am thankful to be able to homeschool. I get to do field trips like this on my time and on my terms; My children get to be with their family instead of care-givers, peers, or even strangers; And! We're making happy memories and deepening our bond while learning life skills. 

Yes, I have a very blessed life indeed! And I'm so happy that I get to share all of this with you! Thank you, my friends, for stopping by my blog today. I appreciate all of the positive feedback you all have lavished on me throughout my blogging journey!

What are some ways you teach etiquette? I'd love to hear about it! 

Take care sweet friends,

~ Courtney:)

4 comments:

  1. What a special memory for your children! I enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dessert looks so good! Bet the kids really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did! And I did, too! Looking forward to doing it again!

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!