"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Friday, February 12, 2016

Sunbeams

My mother used to sing this song...

"So let the sun shine in. Face it with a grin.

Smilers never lose, and frowners never win.

So let the sun shine in. Face it with a grin.

Open up your heart and let the sun shine in."


                 

Now I sing it to my children, usually in the mornings when we go around the house opening blinds. How could I feel sad when my walls are splashed with sunshine? God's light streaming into my home and my heart...


Looking like diamonds on my walls...

              

God saying to me, "I am here with you"...

             

I love sunbeams in a house. It's different every day, and for such a short moment in time. Casting beautiful shadows, but never for long.




I don't get this swirling shadow every day. It caught me off guard coming down the staircase. "How beautiful!" I thought. I was so glad I was home to see it! And then a few days later there was this lace shadow in my kitchen while I was cooking...


"Wonderful!" I thought. I dropped what I was doing to snap a picture. Five minutes later it was gone. I will never understand how anyone could ever think staying at home is boring!


Sunlight in the boys' bedroom...


            

Sunlight in the hall...



"The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life." -William Morris

Speaking of happiness... let's talk about that for a minute. I found myself in a situation several years ago that was making me unhappy. I would dwell on the circumstance, pondering how I could fix it, but the pondering was growing the unhappiness in my heart. The truth was, there was nothing I could do to fix it. As the years went on the Lord showed me that the unhappy situation and negative feelings it was causing me were NOT THE BOSS OF ME! I can just decide I'll be happy! Did you know that you can just decide to be happy? YOU'RE THE BOSS OF YOU!

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things." Phil 4:8

Sometimes when there is a sunbeam on the table, I'll gather together a few house plants for a sun bath...


              

When I was taking these pictures, Nola was playing so nicely with her dolls. I was not going to have her pick them up and move for the picture. Home is where you should feel free to play and imagine and live... I actually enjoy seeing sights like these....


             

"We should all do one thing a day just to bring one happy moment into our lives." -Unknown 

             

Sometimes when the wind is blowing our American flag in the front yard, the sun shining through the moving flag will make the sunbeams seem as if they're dancing on the walls...





              

Do you see the paper heart on the front door? My children have been making Valentine decorations. I just let them do it...



I really think that it is because of that sad season in my life that I feel free to live and be happy now. I just put on my big-girl pants and decided to press on, looking for the simple and happy things in life. In the beginning it was a daily choice, but now I actually feel truly happy. 

"It's bringing yourself out of sadness that is the true accomplishment in anyone's life; and it's true life." -Susan Branch




             

A really close friend of mine, who's been with me since the beginning, asked me recently, "So, has it ever gotten easier?" 

"No," I answered honestly, "But I've gotten stronger."


"...The Lord stood with me and strengthened me..." 2 Tim 4:17

I've learned I can be genuinely happy in a situation I don't like. I just look for the "sunbeams". The happy parts of life that make everything worth it. The bright spots that make the negativity hide in the shadows.








            

What about you? Are you in need of some sunbeams in your life? Open your window blinds and open your heart! Look around you! There are plenty of simple, happy pleasures. 

           

We all have situations that want to drag us down.

"Reality is something you rise above." -Susan Branch


           

"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:11-13

~ So let the sunshine in ~ Face it with a grin ~ Open up your heart and let the sunshine in ~

6 comments:

  1. What beautiful lessons the Lord has taught you. Thank you for sharing! I think I will look at the sun streaming in our house in a different way after reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so sweet to leave comments on my posts! I enjoy reading what you have to say! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  2. Well written and inspirational post Courtney. When we pulled up to our house today Roman said, "Hey, we have that same window at our house!" Ben loves the "rainbows" in the morning. Your home beams with happiness. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love getting all your comments! Yes, the "rainbows" are such a treat, aren't they?!

      Delete
  3. I like to go back and re-read your blogs. I get so much out of them. Wanted to share with you what God has shown me through your thoughts and words. That the situation that I am dealing with right now with a friend is very negative and it's causing me to be unhappy. but that does not need to be the boss of me. I am the boss of me. And I am choosing God's sunbeams. I actually may just sing that song tomorrow morning when I'm opening up the curtains at home and the blinds at work. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this just makes my day! What a lovely comment! I am sorry to hear about the situation with your friend. Sounds like you have an opportunity to be a good example. Who knows - you may inspire your friend by your positive attitude! Thank you so much for reading my blog, and for leaving a comment!

      Delete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!