"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Monday, February 15, 2016

Our Valentine's Day



Hello friends!

I sure hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Did you feel loved?

We spent the day at church and then at home.

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" 1John 3:1


               

I dished out a little love....

"This is how we know what love is. Jesus Christ laid down His life for us." 1John 3:16



        

And tried to make the holiday special for us at home.

"We love because He first loved us." 1John 4:19





The day was chilly and gloomy with a soft snowfall...



The perfect kind of day to get to work at home making things bright and cheerful.

I listened to Josh Groban and Ella Fitzgerald while I got out some decorations to hang....


               

These tissue paper pompon balls were left over from previous parties. They just needed a little fluffing. When I make these I can usually get a few parties out of them. I store them in large trash bags in the attic.




This heart banner is also a leftover. I made it several years ago using antique sheet music, red felt, and a heart cookie-cutter. I pull it out every year for Valentine's Day.



Whenever I'm hanging things like this, I'm very mindful of the fact that I live in a very old home that deserves to be respected. I taped my banner to the tissue paper, not the woodwork. If you live in an old home consider it an honor and responsibility and take good care of your woodwork!


              

Next, I set the table. Micah had flowers delivered to me on Saturday, so I used the bouquet as the centerpiece....



I also used an old Romeo and Juliet book and some vintage Valentine's on our table...


               


               

The children were happy to help me frost and decorate the heart-shaped sugar cookies.


              

I simmered the meat sauce for our supper while this was happening...




I thought they did a great job!



             

I always make fruit salad with real whipped cream for special occasions. On Valentine's Day I tint the cream pink. I decided to use my crystal sherbet dishes for the fruit salad because I thought, "Why not?!" Some people would argue that having small children would be the reason why you shouldn't, but I cannot agree. Children will rise to whatever standard you set. I consider it my job to teach my children what good quality living at home looks like. What I have discovered is that children love to be treated to special and beautiful things!




When I am old and dying in a nursing home and my daughters and granddaughters are going through my things, I do not want them saying to each other, "I didn't know mom had this!" Or, "Mom always kept these hidden in the china cabinet." No, no, no! I want them to go through my home's possessions saying things like, "These hand-painted dishes remind me of family suppers." "Remember this? Every Christmas mom would get this out!" "I remember this silverware! Mom and I would shine it up together before setting the table!"

Do you have nice dishes or some hand-me-down goblets, candlesticks, or vases from your mother or grandmother? Now's the time to use them! Each piece has the potential to be linked with a happy memory for your children... and you do the linking! :)

Yes, some of my things have chips and faded spots, but that just means they've been well-used and loved!

This is what my table looked like when I was done with it...



Each place setting has two gift bags because my children's grandmothers both like to spoil and love on my kids....



They don't know how lucky they are!


Thank you "Grandma" and "Gran"!


               

As the night went on, Roman performed a magic show for us...



              

Things got messy... 






                





          

and fun...

         

with a dash of crazy...


And by the end of the night I was a really tired mama!







I had a huge mess, a cranky baby, and very sleepy eyeballs, but... My heart was full of love!!!

I really hope your Valentine's Day was fun and filled with love! 

Thank you so much for stopping by!

XOXO,

~Courtney

6 comments:

  1. I agree about using the fancy dishes. When I had the boys we would have "fancy night". I would get out the company dishes and stemmed goblets instead of paper plates and plastic cups. They LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun memories for them! Thanks for sharing, Ginger!

      Delete
  2. What a fun day! I really like your Romeo and Juliet book.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!