"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest." - Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Homeschool Mornings

I love mornings.


They're brimming with possibility.

They speak of hope and new beginnings.

They remind me I have a fresh start.

Or maybe that's the coffee speaking...

Either way,

They splash sunlight all over my walls and I am reminded that

"His compassions never fail. They are new every morning, great is Thy faithfulness." La 3:23


               


I've been wanting to write a post about our mornings. One of the many reasons why I homeschool my children is so that they can have a hot, homemade breakfast every morning. Homeschool moms all know that academics are only a part of it. A well-rounded, good quality life that is relationship rich is our goal for our children. Homemade meals with family is a tool I use to accomplish this.

I realize that my time is short with my kids. Soon enough they'll be rushing out the door in the mornings to get to a job, and before I know it they won't be here at all. So for now, while they are mine, all mine, I cook for them, read to them, sing with them, and pray over them every morning. My goal is that 20 years from now when they are with each other they'll say, "Remember when we were kids and mom would cook us eggs and we'd all sit around the table talking about the dreams we had the night  before? What a luxury that was! We didn't know how lucky we were!"

Our breakfast menu always varies slightly from morning to morning. Sometimes I make smoothies. Sometimes I make sausage. But there's one thing that's the same day after day after day... I always make eggs!

Come on! I'll show you what I do.....

I start by setting out clean plates.


The boys get white plates and the girls get pink plates. I always use real plates, not paper. It's important to give children the gift of beauty. They'll carry it in their hearts all their life.

I start with vitamins and move on to cold foods next. The hot foods always get plated last. Today... fresh watermelon and cantaloupe! (The kids think I'm giving them candy! Fresh fruit in the winter is such a treat!)


Once I've reached this point I can start preparing the hot foods. Like I said, it varies. Sometimes I make toast, sometimes bacon... Today I'm making English muffins. We haven't tried this maple kind before...

               

Next, the eggs with a splash of milk and salt and pepper...


              

The kids wait (not so) patiently while I do this... Sometimes they play or watch PBS, but usually they pester me or fight with each other... Sigh... (We're working on that.)

              

Time to dish it all up...



The baby fussing and, "Mom, we're hungry!" are the background noises at this point. We're almost ready...


All set!

Roman helps me carry plates to the table...


               

Once we've prayed we can begin eating...

               


               

Elsa is feeding herself now. She does really well with it!




               


               

During breakfast we like to have what we call our "Morning Meeting." Once we're settled in and everyone's eating I announce what day it is and what our plans are for the day. Then we take turns going around the table and everyone gets to say how they're feeling that morning. It's amusing to listen to little kids come up with adjectives to describe how they're feeling. Several months ago Nola started saying she felt "pleasantent." She made it up, obviously, but it took and now everyone says they feel "pleasantent." Hahaha....

               

I don't have the heart to correct them, so my kids think "pleasantent" is a word.

I also try to read a chapter out of Proverbs to them during this time but it seems like I can only get through a few verses before I've completely lost their attention.



I so badly want this time to be peaceful but more often than not, one kid is throwing eggs at a sibling while another kid is refusing to eat and the baby is making a huge mess. Sometimes I pour milk for someone and they flip out because they wanted juice... etc, etc... You get the picture. But I go through this every morning because I hope we're making family memories.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Even with these difficulties, I am so thankful I get to have my children with me every morning. I consider it one of my favorite benefits of homeschooling. When we're done eating they help with some table chores...


Then I send them upstairs to begin their morning routine while I tackle this mess...



They're in charge of getting dressed, brushing their teeth and making their beds before we start school. I can hear them clunking around upstairs while I do dishes...



I restore order to the kitchen before I move into school lessons with my first grader. The reason is because it seems counterproductive to try to work on school in a miserable environment. Homeschool and Homelife go hand in hand. Give yourself and your children a beautiful environment.

"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace." 1 Cor 14:33



"But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." 1 Cor 14:40



Order in the kitchen has been restored..... Until lunchtime. Then it's back to square one. But let's not think about that right now... wink.

I enjoyed having you with me for our homeschool morning. I appreciate all of you who stop by my blog! I hope you leave a comment and I sure hope your day is pleasantent!!!

~Courtney

10 comments:

  1. Can I come over for breakfast?! That looks like so much fun and you are right. These are the things that will stay in there memories for ever. What a blessing you are. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Z! And, YES, you can come over for breakfast any time!!! ;););)

      Delete
  2. What a neat vision for your family! Breakfast (not rushed) together is so special! We still enjoy the Character Lesson book you told us about. Our girls can identify the character traits we're working on so quickly in the book, but in our daily lives, there are SO many opportunities to "try that again" when a response isn't right. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! I'm sure you can relate to a lot of this! Haha. We still read our character book, too! I know what you mean, I wonder how much of it is "sinking in" hahaha.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the juice and milk mixed up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... Oh no, it's not just you. I can't ever seem to keep all their drinks straight... Hahaha...

      Delete
  4. Loved this encouraging post!!! It's so true how the tone we as mamas set in the morning affects the whole day❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! :) Thanks so much for reading, Jessica!

      Delete
  5. Love your blogs Courtney! I love orderly things and you put it in such an awesome perspective.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your kind comments! They make blogging much more fun when I can interact with friends!